Tuesday, October 1, 2013

#ChewforChange

This shop is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group™ and Project 7 but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #chewforchange  http://cmp.ly/3/8vNxcO

Have you heard about Project 7?  Chances are, if you're like me, you haven't but you need to know about them because what they are doing is going to change the world. Project 7's mission is to make products like bottled water, gum and coffee that give back to seven areas of basic needs to live a healthy life.  These include Feed the HungryHeal the SickHope for PeaceHouse the HomelessQuench the ThirstyTeach them Well and Save the Earth.  How cool is that?

I was inspired by this mission and wanted to do something to reach out to someone that I love.  I thought about what things people have done for me and my family that really meant a lot to me and helped me in a time of "need" and the first thing that came to mind was when both of my babies were born and people brought food.

I don't know about you but the first few weeks at home with a new baby are a blur. So much snuggling, lack of sleep, the last thing on your mind is making a nice hot dinner.  When James was born I was fortunate enough to have my mom here with me for a full week and she made us dinner every night that week {with enough left over for Jimmy's lunches} and that was the best. Not having to worry about doing one.more.thing while caring for a new baby is the best gift I could ask for.

Some of you remember The Pregnants.  Well I am happy to report that as of September 1st all the babies have been welcomed into this world, healthy and happy. 
I got the pleasure to go see Baby Raleigh recently and I knew that I wanted to let her mommy know that she was being taken care of the same way my mom made me feel after James was born.  Kendall and I headed to Meijer to buy all of our ingredients, so glad she loves going to the supermarket and helping me bake, for two-ingredient pumpkin muffins and bubble-up enchiladas.  

The two-ingredient muffins are quite possibly the easiest thing on the planet and now that it's fall it's the perfect thing to take a new mom.  Plus they are easy to eat, you can even eat them while your feeding your baby.


What you need:

  • Box of cake mix 
  • 15 oz. can of pumpkin
That's it, people!  Now I will add that I cheated.  I read the reviews and comments beforehand and saw where someone had suggested using the spice cake versus the originally pictured yellow cake and then someone else said that adding mini chocolate chips was the way to go.  They also suggest a dusting of powered sugar on top.  Done. Done.  And done.


And basically you just mix all said ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix. That is it.  No, really.  There is no oil, no eggs, no adding water. The batter is very thick but very tasty. Best part is that since it has no raw egg you feel safe eating it.  Because when has that ever stopped someone from eating cake batter before?   Never.
I wanted them to have dinner too because I feel like dinner is the most stressful part of the food day.  However, I have a newborn myself and needed to make something that wasn't going to stress me out either so bubble-up enchiladas are great!

What you need:
  • 1 lb ground turkey
  • 1 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
  • 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
  • 1 can reduced fat refrigerator biscuits
  • 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Brown turkey and drain, if needed. Mix in enchilada sauce and tomato sauce.  Cut the biscuits into fourths and stir them into the meat mixture. Dump all of it into a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Take out and sprinkle with cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes. I topped mine with some green onion to make it look a little "fancier".
My friend was so thrilled to not only have dinner but also breakfast, or snack for her and her family that night. It felt amazing to give them that gift and take some of the pressure off the "what's for dinner" woes. It's nothing major but it's the little things that mean the most to people, I've learned.  

Random acts of kindness don't even have to be to people you know.  Ever had someone buy your Starbucks for you?  Me either but gosh I've heard those stories and they make my heart smile.  Through this project I bought 10 packs of Project 7 gum, purchased at Meijer, and passed them out randomly.  The first pack I gave was to the cashier and when she looked at me like I was missing an eyeball I told her the reason behind it and she had no idea.  She had been looking at the gum in her isle for nearly a month and had no idea.  Do you know how cool that felt to share with her?  See, it's simple things like that that Project 7 is all about.  Small acts can make a big impact if everyone does it.
If you want to learn more about this amazing company and what they are doing to change the world you can "like" them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter to stay up to date on the latest.


No comments:

Post a Comment